Wisconsin, , United States
Buildingmaterial Products - Manufacturer, Trader,
Proprietorship Firm Since 1929
John Halquist, a Swedish immigrant, founded the Halquist Stone Company in 1929 by purchasing an abandoned 2 acre curbing quarry on Lisbon Plank Road outside of Sussex, Wisconsin.
The type of stone quarried, known locally as "Lannon Stone", had been quarried in the area since the 1850s and had a good reputation for producing high quality lime, curbing, paving, foundation and building stone.
With the arrival of son Albin "Stoney" Halquist in 1931, the Halquist Stone Company grew to be one of the largest stone companies in Wisconsin by the end of WWII. In fact, Halquist had many German POWs working, making agricultural lime for the war effort.
Halquist Stone enjoyed the postwar building boom, and Lannon stone became the "only" stone for houses and churches in Milwaukee, Chicago and the northern Midwest. In 1947 alone, Halquist had over 150 employees and produced 750, 000 square feet of hand-cut Lannon veneer.
Halquist has always been the largest producer of Lannon stone for many reasons. Halquist had a large number of well-trained immigrant stoneworkers from Italy, Germany and Scandinavia, and Halquist was always the industry innovator.
Halquist was the first in the area to use diamond saws, high powered splitters, and the first with a national marketing plan. Halquist was the only major local building stone producer to "recycle" its waste into agricultural lime and crushed stone, laying the foundation for what is now a successful aggregate business.
In the 1950s and 1960s Halquist was the first to locally market stones from around the country to the Chicago/Milwaukee market, including California Driftwood, New York bluestone and Tennessee Crab Orchard.
In 1962, Halquist began the process of "Tumbling" stone (at the new Ideal quarry) to give stone an aged look. By the mid-60s Halquist was quarrying Lannon from 4 local quarries to give a wide array of sizes, textures and colors.
In 1966 Halquist introduced a comprehensive pension and full-family medical plan for all full time employees, a first for the local industry.
In 1979 Halquist opened Apache Stone in Phoenix Arizona, giving it a reliable source to the most beautiful pebbles, flagstones, veneers and boulders in the world, and immediately began shipping these stones nationally. Now with 2 locations in the Phoenix area, Apache Stone is the largest distributor of building stone in Arizona.
In 1994 we installed an Italian-made tile line, the only one in the midwest that produces natural stone tiles & pavers to world class tolerances. Shortly thereafter began shipments of tiles, pavers and cobblestone to Japan.
In 1998 Halquist went past the $1, 000, 000 sales mark in exports to Japan. Additionally, in 1998 Halquist began to host "Dozer Day", an annual fundraiser for local schools, and has since raised over a half of a million dollars.
In 1998 Halquist opened Chilton Stone company, a subsidiary that produces colorful limestone from the Fond du Lac and its Chilton quarry areas of Wisconsin.
We are Manufacturers & Trader of Lannon Stone. - high quality lime - curbing - paving - foundation - BUILDING STONE - LANDSCAPE STONE - THIN VENEER - LIMESTONE TILE - CULTURED STONE - GRANITE AND MARBLE - CUT STONE - HARDSCAPE SUPPLIES - Concrete Retaining Walls - Clay and Concrete Pavers
P.O. Box 308
N51 W23563 Lisbon Road
Wisconsin - 53089 () United States